Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sigh.

I normally portray my childhood in the suburbs of DC as having been fairly multicultural. That's the way I remember it. I hung out with the daughter of the ambassador to Nigeria. Being Jewish was, if anything, more normal than being Catholic. There was a Muslim girl from Iraq who wore a headscarf in the sixth grade and I recall thinking she must wear a headscarf because she's from Iraq and thinking of it like a French girl wearing a beret.

But now there's a Muslim girl who has special uniform requirements and the National Federation of State High School Associations won't let her compete.

So I guess the rest of the nation still has some catching up to do.

CC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rest of the nation? Isn't she in DC? The whole thing is just mean-spirited.

Chalicechick said...

She is in DC, but the decision was made by the national organization.

CC