Friday, October 20, 2006

"Nightmare" looks pretty spiffy in 3-d


The CSO and I saw a sneak preview of the new 3-D Nightmare before Christmas. As CC was at her gothiest when this movie came out, it's sort of cheesily sentimental to me.

The whole movie is a work of art, 3-d effects or not, and the 3-d effects were quite impressive. We had fun.

I love movies that create their own worlds and Tim Burton has made some great ones. I really liked his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, as did Roald Dahl's family. (Dahl hated the saccharine 1970's musical version. You'll note how the 1970's version is pretty clearly setting up for a sequal at the end. This sequal didn't happen because Dahl wouldn't sell them the rights to Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator after he saw the first movie. I mean, the producers of the 1970's version changed the name of the movie from "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" to "Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory" as to improve name recognition on the "Willy Wonka" line of candy bars they were putting out. Sorry, I'm a bit of a Roald Dahl fan and the disrespect that the 1970s version shows bugs me.)

Edie had gotten us the free sneak preview passes and I was feeling pretty special to have them, though standing in line we met a homeless guy who had gotten his off of th internet. So maybe not.

CC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SWEET.

Though I liked the 1970s version better. I know Tim Burton has to give everyone a dark childhood to explain them, but it still annoyed me vis a vis Willy Wonka.