Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Poverty, Chastity and Obediance are like my three least favorite things

That said, what the Rev. Sue Spencer is doing seems really cool.

I don't know why the monastic, contemplative life has a sort of pull for me. I'm really, really obviously unsuited for it. I don't remotely have the attention span, for one thing. The article suggests that Spencer will literally be doing more prayer before breakfast than I do in a month.

But I'm still intrigued, fascinated even. I find myself wishing she would write a book about her life.

I guess there's something amazing in loving something so much and feeling so connected to it that you're willing to give up everything else in the world for it.

CC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad we never got the Chalistry started -- she might have found a place there.

fausto said...

If your spiritual destiny is to join an Episcopal convent, there is no better preparation in UU-dom for that particular discipline than the First Parish in Weston.