Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Moments that don't suck

Monday, still freaked out by Katrina stuff but well-aware I needed some air, I walked Stupid Dog two miles or so to the post office and two miles or so back. When I arrived at the post office, there was no one around. I put Stupid Dog's leash around the thing where you tie the ropes on the flagpole and gave him some water. I bought some stamps, mailed my stuff and was leaving when I happened to notice that the American Flag was still at full mast.

Not their fault. I don't think the order came until Rehnquist died. Wasn't that Saturday night?

I was cognizant of the fact that I did not remotely resemble a post office employee, yet I was never one for leaving well enough alone. So I walked up to the flag and undid the ropes. Just then, a car pulled up and a suspicious-looking old guy watched me as I lowered the flag. I think he thought I was stealing it.

It put it properly at half staff and he looked up at it and crisply saluted.

We waved at each other, smiling. He put something in the mailbox and drove off. I took stupid dog's leash and headed for home.

It was a nice moment.

CC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheers, CC- that was a good moment! I'm gratified you had the resolution to do it!